RE: problems with gmc

On 28-Jun-00 Ezequiel wrote:
> Hi,
> I have gnome and redhat 6, gmc works ok must of the time but I have noticed
> that when trying to list the contents of a very large directory (one with
> too many files) it freezes for almost a minute and only then redraws the
> contents of the window, I have noticed that it happens every time I minimize
> or restore gmc, in fact, it seems to freeze every time the window has to be
> redraw for any reason. It is as if the algoritm had been made to scan the
> directory and fill the list every time gmc needs to redraw itself. It is
> really painfull when I for instance have a directory whith  many htm files,
> a tutorial in this case, and every time I open a file and netscape appears I
> have to wait so long when I close it for gmc to redraw. Does anyone know
> what might be happening ? Is gmc code made so that it has to rescan the hole
> directory before redrawing ? Because if things are that way, it will work
> well only with little directories. Is it just that I have an old version of
> GNOME ?

        I don't work on gmc, but a couple of questions occur to me. First,
how many files are there in this directory? Second, do you notice this effect
in any of the standard directories, like /usr/bin or /usr/lib, that have a
bunch of files in them? Finally, what sort of computer are you doing this on?
(I think the relevant details here are CPU and CPU speed, and memory size). It
might help the developers to duplicate the behavior.

Date: 29-Jun-00  Time: 15:19:08

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon Advanced Technology
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor