Re: gtkhtml

Federico Mena Quintero was overheared mumbling something about this on 29 Jun
2000 03:54:44 -0400

> Steven Kordik <stevek@voila.net> writes:
>
>  > Good.  I am glad to know that the Gimp people are smart enough to
>  > understand that GNOME is not a set of widgets, but is instead SUPPOSED to
>  > be a set of guidelines for creating consistant applications.
>
>  Bzzzzzzt.  Three wrong assertions.  Please try again, thank you for playing.

>From gnome.org:

"GNOME provides a number of higher level widgets that are not in GTK+. These
widgets provide a level of consistency between applications, and ease the
development of GNOME applications. They also provide a lot of the policy that
goes into designing a consistent desktop."

Sounds like GNOME widgets primary goal is to provide consistancy between
applications.  Any GNOME widget that is not providing consistancy, should
probably be lowered down the food chain into something like Gtk.

Btw: Most mature individuals avoid the use of sound effects and sarcasm in a
debate.  These tactics are generally reserved for the playground.

You state "Three wrong assertions"  Lets look at each one...

    "I am glad to know that the Gimp people are smart"

I hope you aren't saying that is wrong?

    "GNOME is not a set of widgets"

Well, this is open to some interpretation.  GNOME has widgets, but their
primary purpose is to provide a consistant application framework.  To me, this
is not really a widget.  A widget is a basic building block for a GUI.	GNOME
"widgets" are much higher than "basic" in fact, they are nothing more than
several Gtk widgets combined.  So they are more like "UI Elements" or "Style
Guidelines" in code form.

    "(GNOME) is SUPPOSED to be a set of guidelines for creating consistant
applications"

This theme is spread all over gnome.org.. So I hope you aren't refuting that...

Although I will admit that as time has gone by, GNOME has gotten a little
confused as to exactly what it's role is...  Seems that more and more it is
trying to be everything to everyone... This tends to go against the Unix moto
of "Do one thing, do it well"

-CZ