ppp question

Hi Listers!

Help me if you can!

I installed Storm Linux 2000 with the Gnome desktop. Runs a bit slow but I'm fine with that. I've been trying to get connected to the internet as a regular user and have had some (putting it nicely) issues.
I've been given some pointers on this and other lists but I still am not there.

I gave the pppd file rx permission for users:
chmod a+rx /usr/sbin/pppd

I made /usr/sbin/pppd setuid for root
chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd

and made the port accessible for users
chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS1

I also added myself to the dialout group and the dip group.

I've also edited the /etc/ppp/options file to read "NOAUTH" on line 37 or thereabouts.
So now, as a regular user, when I use the "pon" command it shows this:
/usr/sbin/pppd: Can't open /etc/ppp/peers/provider: access denied

I ran pppconfig as root and set it up and it works flawlessly as root. Where am I going wrong or what else do I need to do to be able to use my modem and connect to my ISP, and hence the internet, as a regular user.
Please, someone, hold my hand for me at this point. It'll keep me from pulling out any more hair. :-)

Thanks in advance!

Todd
witter@wpr.org