zip drive and its desktop icon

How can I permanently set the name and icon pixmap for the desktop icon
for my zip drive?  I'm able to set them via the properties menu, but when
the icon is recreated (via "rescan devices", for example) they're reset
to some default values, "Device 0" and a pixmap of a stack of HD platters.
I'm running the RH 6.2 gnome version.

Thanks,
--
Neil N. Carlson                             Neil.Carlson@Motorola.com