Gnome-terminal and i18n

Hi

I wonder if anybody could help me with i18ning of gnome-terminal? I toke
latest Redhat and Helixcode and installed on a clean machine. I'm quite
familiar with i18ning of linux but I simply have no clue how to make
gnome-terminal display cleanly e.g. едц, all I get is jibberish, xterm
and virtual-consoles display it perfectly. The funny thing is that if I
copy'n'paste those jibberish characters from gnome-terminal to xterm I
do get clean Latin1 characters.

Thanks
Markus