helix gnome, gnumeric and fonts

I've installed helix gnome on an Ultra 5 running solaris 7.
It's running pretty well, but I'm chasing down what I hope
are small configuration issues.

When I try to invoke gnumeric, I get the following error
message:

" Gnumeric failed to find a suitable font.

Please verify your gnome-print installation and that your
fontmap file (typically located in /usr/local/share/fonts/fontmap)
is not empty or near empty. "

There isn't a directory called "fonts" in /usr/local/share.  The
closest thing I have is /usr/local/share/fnlib_fonts.  Am I
missing a directory or library, or is my setup misconfigured?
Fonts are one of those things I just take for granted, and have
never focused on.

                                         Thanks,
                                         Larry