Re: make gnome listen on localhost:*

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Elliot Lee wrote:

> > You can sing all the songs about firewalls, but you know what?  no one
> > is listening, most new users don't know the difference between X and
> > GNOME, yet you expect them to understand how to setup up and maintain
> > a secure firewall?
>
> Tried gnome-lokkit?

Yes, and it's nice and easy.  But, in this case, it's still
the wrong way around.

All we want is a safe default and a panel applet which does
the equivalent of:

dialog --yesno "ADVANCED: Allow communication with\nremote desktops" \
	15 50 && echo ORBIIOPIPv4=1 >>.orbitrc

This is not about the quality of code in ORBit or GNOME.  It
is about providing an absolutely basic level of security for
users.

And, for what it's worth, I know zero people who run panel
applets remotely (which would appear to be the primary use
of this feature so far) and half a dozen who, independantly,
have been unimpressed by the output of netstat on a default,
logged-in Red Hat install.

Matthew.