bad performance

I recently built a new machine and gnome is not running well at all. The
mouse hangs, things are drawn incredibly slowly, mouse movents are jerky,
etc. The machine is a Athalon 850 with 256 megs RAM and a 32 MB Matrox
G400. I am using the latest Helix-code stuff with gnome-1.2.1 and have
tried both englightenment and sawmill for a window manager. The same setup
on my PII350/128/Permedia2 runs perfectly fine, and WindowMaker on my
Athalon runs great. Any idea what the gnome problem might be?

--

Chad Cunningham
ccunning@math.ohio-state.edu

Only 105 days until RSA Patent expiration!