Language selection from gdm doesn't do *anything*

Hello happy Gnomers,

I installed Helix packages of GNOME 1.2 on my RedHat 6.1 system.

Apparently selecting a language other than English from the gdm login screen is *not* enough to switch the language that GNOME operates in.  In fact it seems that choosing any language other than English has no effect.  Clearly there must be more involved.

So what do I need to do to get, say Danish or Turkish, as my language for menus and dialogs?  I've searched and searched and can't find the answer on the difficult Gnome website or on Google.

Thanks a bunch, any help greatly appreciated!
  -Billy

Billy Charlton <billyc@WindRiver.com>
500 Wind River Way, Alameda CA  94501
tel: 510-749-2568   fax: 510-749-2010