Re: Win32 port

At 09:18 AM 6/7/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Most computer users just need an appliance that does the one or two things
>they need without a lot of fuss. Linux can easily do that while hiding the
>complexities. There is no need to come up with a special distro that
>reduces the power of the system. It's just a matter of configuring the end
>user's environment.

No need?  Linux isn't going to make it onto the desktop without something
like this (unless someone manages to create some all-knowing graphical
config tool or installer), and you can quote me on that.  People don't need
Linux.  They need Windows for the exact reasons you stated (one or two
thing without ... fuss).  If you provide them with a nice, minimal Linux
install that is very tailored to running X right off the bat (maybe gdm or
something), and the proper GNOME config, you could provide them with an
'appliance' as you call it.  It would certainly be just as capable as any
Linux box, you'd just have to install the other things you needed (which
could be provided, read as 'developer install')

>If the end user likes to tinker, then the last thing you want to do is give
>them a crippled system. Give them all the parts and let them use what they
>like and ignore the rest. Sooner or later they will grow into the system,
>but not if it's missing so much that there is no room to grow.

But why give the user a bag of tools when they only need a
screwdriver?  Sure, some of them will happily make use of the extra things
provided, but for others they will only collect dust, or even worse, cause
a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fussing about this, I love my Linux box the way
it is.  But I know that we won't take over the world (we don't have to I
guess, but then theres no motivation) unless we start getting people who
don't give a rats ass about gtk+ or GNOME, they just want a nice
desktop.  I'd simply love for people to have a _choice_ without having to
have this big linux distro... why install redhat just for a desktop, why
not just install the desktop?

You don't like it?  That's fine, I don't mind;)  I think it's a good idea,
to each his own;)