Re: My first message to this list - problems with GnoRPM

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 11:44:48AM +0300 or thereabouts, Cornel DIACONU wrote:
> Hi everyone !
> This is my first message to this list, so please be endulgent with me.
> First, can anyone tell me how came those archives with dates in the
> future ? (2018-september, 2002-may a.s.o.) It looks like we have some
> visitors from our future !! Kidding.

The meesages are being archived on the basis of the date they were
sent on. If you habe not set up your system clock properly and your
local date is 2012 (and it happens...), then your mail will go out
with a date of 2012. Other machines that pass the mail along will
put Received: headers with more sensible dates on, but the archiver
won't look at those. It will just look at the date it was apparently
sent on according to the machine it was sent from.

There is a command called timetool on many distributions which you
can run as root to correct your system-wide time. There may be others.
If you don't have it, you can set the date with 'date', but the
syntax is horrible.

> Now the serious problem: I'm using gnorpm 0.9 (to be more specific:
> gnorpm-0.9-15.rpm, with RedHat 6.1). I actually use this much more often
> than kpackage, even I'm using practically most of the time the KDE
> interface than the GNOME one. But I've ran into a problem: every time I
> select the option Preferences, the program crashes, invariably. I don't
> know if this is a bug, or there is another explanation to this (maybe a
> setting that needs to be done - where ?).

It sounds like a bug to me :) I don't see anything later than 0.9 in
the gnorpm directory on the FTP site. When I select Preferences it
appears to start downloading a bunch of stuff from
http://www.redhat.com/RDF/resources/distribs/ and -then- produces the
Preferences dialogue box. Ugh. Wonder what it does if the net connection
is down? Perhaps you're having trouble with the downloading stuff?

> (OK, the program works very well without this, but if there is a solve
> to this, I'd like to know about it.)

I was going to be helpful and check the bugs site for you, but there
appear to be 889 bugs open against gnorpm, so um. For what it's worth,
there's several crash reports on it. You could always grab bug-buddy
and add another one with it :)

Telsa