(g)mc

While upgrading my system to Gnome 1.2.0, I ran into the following problem:

I have SuSE 6.3 and it has installed mc into /usr, and gmc into /opt/gnome.

Now I want to compile & install the latest (g)mc from the tarball and keep
the layout of my system the same. But how do I get configure to put the mc
files into /usr and the gnome specific ones into /opt/gnome?

Or should I just remove the SuSE RPM's and put everything in one place,
together with the rest of Gnome?

By the way, Gnome looks better and better every time!

Herman