gmc and startup

I am wondering here.  When I 'startx' Gnome starts and panel comes up, but
desktop is blank.  If I try to hit the gnome menu button to view
 and select programs the panel disappears and comes back again.  It does
this until the desktop items and gmc comes up.  As soon as this
finally happens everything is in working order again.  Can anyone on this
list throw me some hints as to why this happens and how to fix?