modal dialogs

Hi,
I've been working on a gui for a simulation that has to run on various
platforms.  According to the requirements I need modal dialog boxes.  I
am using the following code to accomplish this:
    void
Dialog::makeModal ( GtkWidget * widget ) {
    gtk_window_set_modal(GTK_WINDOW(d_dialog), TRUE);
    gtk_grab_add(GTK_WIDGET(d_dialog));
    gtk_window_set_transient_for(GTK_WINDOW(d_dialog),
GTK_WINDOW(widget));
}
This works as expected in under Linux.  My dialogs do not submarine
under Red Hat Linux 6.2 but, they do submarine when the same code is
compiled and run under Solaris 5.7.  Any ideas as to why this is
occurring and what can I do about it?
Thanks
George