alt tab not working

I am running Helix Gnome on SuSE 6.4. I have updated to all the latest
packages using the Helix updater and all is fine except that I no longer
seem to have an alt (meta) key.

Trying alt tab for example to circulate windows in Sawfish just gives me the
same results as tab by itself would. If I use KDE instead (started from GDM)
teh alt key works fine so I guess there is not much wrong with my X setup.

Has anyone else come across this problem ?

Regards

Pat