Can't change Desktop Icons

Hello,

I am using gnome-core 1.2.1, gnome-libs 1.2.3, and gmc/mc-4.5.51.  I am
also using the Sawmill Window Manager, version 0.26.  Normally a user
gets icons on the desktop that can be used to mount/access a removable
drive, check a printer queue, or open the home directory.  You are
supposed to be able to right-click on any of these icons, scroll down to
"Properties," click on the "Options" tab, and choose an appropriate icon
for the device/directory (i.e. a picture of a Home for the home
directory, or a picture of a Zip or Jaz drive for either of those
devices).

On my system, it's possible to do all this, but after I select the icon,
it shows up in the icon window on the "Options" tab.  However, when I
then click "OK", the desktop icon does not change the way it is supposed
to.  Furthermore, if root user even attempts to scroll down to the
"Properties" dialog for these desktop icons, gmc crashes with a
segmentation fault.

I know that for application launchers, icon information is stored in
.desktop files.  However, for symlinks and directories on the desktop,
there are no such files.  All I have in my ~/.gnome-desktop are a bunch
of symlinks to directories/devices that should be visible on the
desktop.  Where is icon information stored for these symlinks?  If I
could find that file, I might be able to figure out why gmc is behaving
so strangely on my system.

Dan
--
Daniel Lyddy		daniell@cs.berkeley.edu
California PATH/UC Berkeley Vision Group
Richmond Field Station, Building 452
1357 S. 46th St, Richmond, CA 94804-4698
tel: +1 (510) 231-5659  fax: +1 (510) 231-5600
url: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daniell
begin:vcard
n:Lyddy;Daniel
tel;fax:(+1) 510-231-5600
tel;work:(+1) 510-231-5659
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daniell
org:UC-Berkeley/California PATH;ViVE Lab/ATMIS Group
version:2.1
email;internet:daniell@cs.berkeley.edu
title:MSEE
adr;quoted-printable:;;Richmond Field Station=0D=0ABuilding 452=0D=0A1357 S. 46th St;Richmond;CA;94804-4698;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;-8480
fn:Daniel Lyddy
end:vcard