Re: Ann: GtkCanvas 0.1

On Sun, 23 Jul 100, Andy Tai wrote:

> (I have sinned. GNOME developers, please pardon me)
>
> This is to announce GtkCanvas 0.1, a backport of the GnomeCanvas widget to
> gtk+.  It can be downloaded from

Would it have avoided a fork if the Gnome widgets were available in smaller
packages, perhaps with a --standalone compile option?

The way I see this is that forked libraries mean that Gnome people have to
download more code to get non-Gnome code working on their systems.

The opposite is also true... non-Gnome people have to download more code
to get Gnome code working on their systems.

I'm guessing this is the reason behind the constant forking of Gnome
components. If this issue can be settled by repackaging, that would
seem to be a valid technical solution to a political problem.

--
  spwhite@chariot.net.au