Re: suggestion about themability

>Currently, the theme dictates look and feel in a fairly rigid way.

What theme? Shell theme? GTK+ theme? Window manager theme (which wm btw)?

>For example, if I want to modify the colors shown in a border that
>uses an stretched image as a background, I have to go in an edit
>the image in order to shift the brightness, contrast, saturation
>and hue.  I think this should be handled at Gnome startup time.

It varies with themes. One of Sawfish themes copies the GTK+ colors and
modifies the images so they match. In the same way that my Thinice theme are
just some lines in .gtkrc.mine, and when I try other themes, I normally get
similar results (colors are reused).

>In other words, I would like a user interface that allows me to
>select parts of the Gnome GUI and then select changes to the
>brightness, contrast, saturation and hue of that GUI element.
>Then, the next time Gnome loads, a preprocessing pass is done on
>any GUI elements I have specified for color shifting and the theme
>shows up as I have specified.

Yes, what we need are a easy way to create / modify themes. They exist, but
I doubt people will like them, or will like editing text files. A Metatheme
creator tool could be a nice app (so start your project now ;] ) if well
done, current ones are a bit "rough" with the users.

GSR