Re: conflict? gnome updater vs. RH up2date

mjbjr@beaudesign.com writes:

> Well, I did helix-update again, today.  RH 'up2date' is still a no-show on
> the menus, but it's weird status (which I didn't show before) continues:
>
> [root@localhost /root]# which up2date
> /usr/sbin/up2date
> [root@localhost /root]# ls -l /usr/sbin/up2date
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         5934 Nov  3  1999 /usr/sbin/up2date
> [root@localhost /root]# /usr/sbin/up2date
> bash: /usr/sbin/up2date: No such file or directory
>
> Hmm...
>
> Any ideas?

head -n 1 /usr/sbin/up2date shows:

#!/usr/bin/python -u

It seems like you don't have python installed or something.

> Also, I still wonder in the Helix update program and 'up2date' comptible
> with one another.  Do they use the same database?  Do they check their
> database against what's really loaded on the system?  Will they avoid
> going loading a later version for themselves, but earlier than what the
> other has put on the system?

I don't know anything about how up2date works, but helix-update will
look at the updates available, and only show you those which are newer
than what you have installed.

Jacob