Re: can't login with root or user after 1.2 upgrade

Joss Winn wrote:

> thanks for the quick reply.
>
> So how might I correct this with only the failsafe terminal at my disposal?
>
> Thank you
>
> Joss (allergic to the terminal) Winn
>
> on 00.7.13 7:51 AM, Rob Brown-Bayliss at rob@procom.co.nz wrote:
>

> >> login screen.  I enter the user name or root and password and it just
> >> returns me to the login again.  I can get somewhere with failsafe and
> >> another level but all else fails.
> >
> > I have had a similar problem every time I update GDM, so I don't bother
> > unless it's a major fix.
> >
> > To fix it I restore my previous gdm.conf and the other files I may have
> > changed.  I usually make a backup of the whole gdm directory befor running
> > the gdm update.  I think the main problem is the <prefix>/gdm/Init/Default
> > file...
> >
> > This is one of my pet hates with the whole RPM system, nearly every RPM
> > overwrites your previous config files with the new defaults, though they
> > mostly seem to save the old config first.
> >
> > But it's anoying.

I had a similar problem, and if I remember correctly I found that
reselecting Session and language from the menus in gdm were what fixed
it.  Oh and last time I updated gdm GNOME was removed from the list so I
selected a different wm and when I came back to gdm GNOME was back on
the list ????

--
Steve - Cheltenham, UK
---------