nohup, grabbing x windows from other machines, and gnome

Please point me at the right place to understand this better.

I run pan on one machine.  I want to start a download that will keep
going even if the X session closes. I'm reading the nohup documents and
it seems to be made for this kind of thing, but it doesn't work at all.
When X shuts down, the pan program quits, nohup or not.

Suppose I go to another machine on the network, and I want to see the
pan window running on the other machine.  Is there a way to grab its
display to the current machine, or to ssh to the first one and export it
from the other machine to the current one?  I know it is possible to
throw an xterm at start time, for example, to another display, but it
never occured how nice it would be to grab the display of a program that
is running until now.

I realize these may not be particular Gnome questions, but I hope
somebody will point me in the right direction so I can learn more about
how to get these things done.
--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn@ukans.edu