Re: Slow GNOME

Rufus Cannon <rufus_jr@cpcug.org> writes:

> I recently installed Redhat 60.  The computer is homebrew K6-2
> based and I am booting redhat from floppy into a logical
> partition.  The bootup process takes a while, like two minites,
> but its livable.
>
> But the GUI really takes a long time. I start X and GNOME from
> the command line.
>
> X Session takes 5 minutes to load after typing startx.
>
> GNOME GUI takes 45 minutes to load, that is before all the desktop icons
> taskbar and other pertinent windows form on the screen.  And once it is
> up some of the windows are slow to respond.
>
> Has anyone ever had a slow GUI and corrected it?  If so, what can you
> suggest that I look at, edit, correct, etc.?

There were some bugs in 6.0 GNOME that caused slow startups.
you may want to try installing the updates that were released
in mid-1999 from the Red Hat errata, or October GNOME from
ftp.gnome.org. Both of which fix numerous other bugs.

However, from your description of other things being slow,
it's possible that you simply have an insufficient amount
of memory to run GNOME.

GNOME requires 32 megs of memory in which to run in, and is
most comfortable in 64 megs. (This depends on what else
you are running, but less than 32 megs is just not going
to work at all well.)

Regards,
                                        Owen