Printer not working

Hi,
  This is my first time on this mailing list, so if I don't do something
correct, let me know.

 I am using RedHat 6.1 installed on drive D: of a dual HD setup, running
Win98 on drive C:, on a new Gateway GP7-600. (I'm a beginner)

  I'm using an HP DeskJet 722C attached directly to LPT1 on a new
Gateway GP7-600.  Gnome sees the printer attached to lp0, but regardless
of the printer selection for DeskJets, I get no response whatsoever from
my printer. Is there a Gnome fix for this or does this problem exist
before Gnome gets control?
  In the 6.1 "Gotcha's and Workaround" section of the RedHat site,
section 6.16 is supposed to deal with this issue, which I installed
manually into the /etc/conf.modules file.  I also installed the modutils
RPM (I hope...) as it said.  Before I did this, Gnome did not see any
printer attached to lp0, lp1, or lp2, but now it sees one attached to
lp0, so I have to assume the modification was successful to this point.
When I try to print an ASCII test page, I hear it going to disk, but no
lights blink on the printer, and I get no errors.  It says something
about sending the file to the print spool.  That's about it.
Any Help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thankyou,
Robert