Re: newbie questions

> Well, I found the patch on Deja without any problem. Unfortunately I have no
> clue how to use it. It obviously must be compiled first? Now my cluelessness
> is really showing.....

The correct solution is this:
1. Create a normal user that can run GNOME
2. Log on as that user
3. Open a terminal
4. type su
5. Do all the set up work from that terminal.

Or when gmc is run
use the --disablerootwarning argument.
The chances are gmc is being run by session management
so go into the control centre and select startup programs
add --disablerootwarning onto the line that runs gmc.

This is completely the wrong way to go about doing things,
and the first is the one I'd advise.

iain
*same disclaimer as before: You hose it, it ain't my fault*