Colormap problems with NEdit

Hello,

I installed Gnome on my Debian 2.2/Linux box a short time ago and am more
than pleased with this truly excellent environment. Just one snag though...;)

When running NEdit I get,

Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#b3b3b3"
Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#e5e5e5"

at http://www.nedit.org/faq/bugs.shtml#colormap the NEdit group explains
this problem as:

--Begin
Most X displays are set up to operate in a mode which allocates 8 bits of
video memory per-pixel, and requires a color mapping table to translate
pixel values to screen colors. With just 8 bits there are only 256 possible
colors, and programs must either allocate and share these pixel values, or
swap in their own colormap and make all other windows flash to strange
colors while their window is focused. Some programs, Netscape in
particular, are bad neighbors in this environment and snarf up every free
entry in the shared colormap, such that every program that runs after them
gets the errors you're asking about.

The solution is either to start Netscape last, after all other applications
that you might want to run, or better, tell Netscape how many colors it is
allowed to allocate. Fortunately, you can do this with a resource setting:

Netscape*maxImageColors: 80
--End

I did as they suggested, ie not running Netscape at all, but no change. I
am still unable to use NEdit with its crucial syntax hightlight features.

My Gnome is running beautifully at 16bpp on an ATI Rage 128.

Any hints or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Alex Panagides
Ceara, Brazil