Re: gdm questions. . .

>>>>> "Norvell" == Norvell Spearman <Norvell@nts-online.net> writes:

Norvell> Are there any know security problems with gdm?

Nope.

Norvell> Once, when I mistyped either the username or password, I
Norvell> didn't wait for the timeout and started typing again.  What
Norvell> happened is that my password showed up in plain
Norvell> view---instead of asterisks (or whatver char is used).  Mind
Norvell> you, this was when I had gdm set to show icons for available
Norvell> users, so there may have been a click involved right after
Norvell> the invalid username or password.

I'll have a look. - I haven't tested browser mode for a long time.

Norvell> Another question is this: When a user logs out of GNOME, the
Norvell> display seems to reset itself (there is an audible click from
Norvell> my monitor any time this happens, or when I switch to a
Norvell> virtual console).  When I used kdm or xdm in the past, this
Norvell> never happened at logout.  Is there any way to change this?

Red Hat changed the gdm they ship so that it respawns the server every
time instead of SIGHUP'ing the running one to cause a reset.

I experimented with that approach too at some point, but decided it
didn't work out very well. The Xserver takes way too long time to shut
down and restart.

Get an official gdm tarball off ftp.gnome.org and compile it yourself.

--
Martin Kasper Petersen			BOFH, IC1&2, Aalborg University, DK
mailto:mkp@SunSITE.auc.dk		http://SunSITE.auc.dk/~mkp/