Re: powershell/gnome-terminal

bob@thestuff.net wrote:

> Well, I dont think it it needs to be that complex.
> Under file, there could be a new tab option. that way, the people who want
> to use tabs just start up as many as they want, and the other people can
> start them the normal way. Personally, I like both methods. Sometimes,
> especially when copying, it is nicer to have two terminals up at once. at
> other times, it is nicer to have a tab style setup. Being able to use both
> at the same time would be a very good thing.

Fair enough.  That makes sense.  So I guess you're also saying that
tab-enabled gnome-terminal instances would have the same settings
for all its terminal windows -- simpler, more consistent, etc.

An alternative to using tabs would be having an additional menu
list called "Sessions" that could drop down a list of all terminals.
Obviously, keyboard shortcuts would be desirable as well.
I guess the "New Terminal" option under the File menu would create a
new terminal window.  Then, typing "exit" in a terminal would just
kill the current terminal.  The gnome-terminal wouldn't exit until
"exit" was entered into the last window.

One way this menu-driven approach to sharing terminals in a single
window might be made easier to use is that a terminal number can
be shown in the gnome-terminal's titlebar.  For example:

	Terminal 1
	Terminal 2

I would personally prefer a menu-driven UI to a tabbed UI.  I find
tabbed interfaces to be clunky space-hogs.  Granted, tabs let a user
navigate with a single click, whereas menu lists require a click and
drag.

I think tabbed windows work really well for option dialogs where there
are lots of classes of options with many options per class.

	Miles