Re: installing rpms and being root

> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 01:50:19 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Paul Warren <pdw@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>
> cc: gnome-list@gnome.org, recipient list not shown: ;
>
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> > I used to colour-code windows by what machine each window had an ssh
> > running to, but that got too confusing :)
>
> I did this in the office, once we had a significant number of Linux
> workstations.  If you have sudo privs on all boxes, knowing which shells
> are on the server becomes, erm, crucial.

You should have *my* setup.  I have to worry not only about windows
open on multiple servers, some of which may be root, but also about
Kerberos tickets that may allow various administrative functions and
AFS tokens which may allow still other functions... and no guarantee
that any of them match:

2@skkukuk:1005 Z$ echo $_BSA_TTYSTR
i386_suse62: skkukuk {opr+admin:allbery.cyradm} [~]
2@skkukuk:1006 Z$ who am i
skkukuk!allbery  pts/1    Jan 22 11:28

That $_BSA_TTYSTR goes into the title bar of my
gnome-terminal/kvt/rxvt/xterm/dtterm/flavor-of-the-day if my prompt
setter can identify it; otherwise it goes into the prompt.  This has
saved my butt enough that I don't really regret the nontrivial amount
of time it takes to rebuild the bloody thing whenever I
{cd,klog,kinit,su,telnet,ssh,...}.

--
brandon s. allbery      [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]     allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator         [WAY too many hats]           allbery@ece.cmu.edu