Re: installing rpms

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Kent Perrier wrote:

> Sean Middleditch wrote:
> >
> > Just to simplify things for you, seeing as how your question didn't need the > complexity of a man page NOR the cost of a book,
> >
> > rpm -I whatever.rpm
>
> ok
>

> > will install "whatever.rpm"
> >
> > rpm -U whatever.rpm
> >
> > will upgrade whatever.rpm

and, to continue a thread which has remarkably little to do with Gnome,
make those -Uvh and -Ivh, and you'll get a pretty status display...

> Not completely correct.  It will also install the rpm if it is not currently
> installed.  To make sure they you are upgrading an rpm that you have installed
> (but not installing it if you do not) use the -F option (freshen).  There was
> post on BUGTRAQ about this.

Does that actually work these days?  The times I have tried to use -F I
have found it broken beyond belief.  3 lines of shell script came to the
rescue though...

Paul