Re: Drawing speed

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> gphat@mail.midtnn.net writes:
> > Today when I was attempting to add a launcher to my panel, I notice how
> > slow and ugly the drawing of the window was.
> >
> > Now Im on an Athlon 500, 128Mb, w/a Voodoo, so there should be no draw!
> > It should just pop up!
> >
> > With the default gtk look, things zip around, but with any themes, it
> > slows down alot.
> >

> Some of the themes are really slow. Just don't use the slow ones.
>
> In particular themes that are pixmap collections rather than "engines"
> are slow.
>
> > I picked up the gtk source and compiled it, thinking that if I compiled
> > it, it would be faster, but no dice.
> >

> No, compiling it yourself doesn't make it any faster than someone else
> compiling it for you. :-)

Unless you pass better flags to the compiler or use a better compiler
than they did.  I'd imagine that Sun's compiler could make better code
then gcc SPARC in some cases.  Of course this won't always yeild faster
executables, but it can be worth a shot.  I don't know enough about GTK
to guess at the kind of difference it could make.
	Greg