Re: gmc

>  I find it very disturbing that gmc runs just to have
>  desktop icons. This seems like a terrible waste of
>  resources when most of the time I never use the icons.

The kernel will swap out unused data.  If you don't have desktop icons
since the beginning, that code may not even be loaded at all.

You really cannot speak about a terrible waste of resources until you
have done some measuring and profiling.

>  How much memory does gmc use?

Please read this:

	gnome-docu/white-papers/MemoryUsage/MemoryUsage.sgml

  Federico