Re: CD-ROM and floppy handling

> RH6.1 includes "magicdev" and "autorun" which handle this sort of behaviour
> for CDROMs.  As Gregory correctly notes, a system event generated by the
> CDROM drive is used by either of these programs to automount and, in the
> case of either, do something such as run the CD player for music CDs or run
> gnoRPM for a RedHat CDROM.  Neither will work for floppies or (external for
> sure, not sure about internal) Zip drives.  Magicdev needs GNOME to run (it
> actually supplies the CD capplet in control-center), but I believe that
> autorun will work even if you are not running GNOME.  You may want to take a
> look at this option instead of using the automount daemon, since (as Toralf
> noted) automount may create a conflict with GNOME.
>
> William F. Helke

I have now set up autorun to start on init, and it seems to work very well
along with GNOME. There was one problem, though, but it has to do with mount
rather than autorun: When /dev/cdrom i listed in /etc/fstab, eject or unmount
as a regular user will fail with a message stating that /dev/hda, or whatever
the "real" CD device name is (/dev/cdrom is a symbolic link), is not listed in
the fstab. The best way around this problem seems to be to replace /dev/cdrom*
with the real devices.

Thanks for your help!

- Toralf