Re: window size

"Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" wrote:

> We are not targeting a Sun with a 21 inch monitor but a lot of guys with
> different hardware and sometimes no option to buy more. So as Telsa says,
> all apps should run in 640 * 480.

Or, (640x412)-(Some variable amount for window decoration). The typical
panel is 52 pixels deep. Or for a panel on the side -> 588x480. So maybe
the standard should be 588x412 including decoration. One could just
autohide the panel, but that isn't always desirable, and shouldn't be
required by default.

Really, we should start thinking about making at least the core set of
applets (drive mounts, volume, launchers, icons, etc.) capable of being
smaller (as an option, of course) so that the panel can realize a
smaller size. It might not be artistically cool, but for some situations
it would help usability a lot. Frankly, the panel eats up too much of
the screen in 640x480, and arguably the same for 800x600.

Well, my rant is over now. It's just that I set up a lot of older
hardware and laptops where this has been a problem. I hate to have to
suggest, "Well don't use GNOME."

AME