Re: window size

>> I don't know much about coding, but I begin to suspect that one
>> of the many gtk things available for Gnome programmers is called
>> open_thumping_great_window. :)
>This is not peculiar to gnome; many X apps (going back years)
>assume a relatively large desktop, so if you run at 640x480, or
>even 800x600, then many application windows start up bigger than
>your desktop (eg, make xconfig for the kernel).

That shows that Unix, in the begining, was for hi end workstations with
monitors big as TVs. ;]

But that should change. We are not targeting a Sun with a 21 inch monitor
but a lot of guys with different hardware and sometimes no option to buy
more. So as Telsa says, all apps should run in 640 * 480.

What is more, I want big monitor and hi res not to have bigger windows but
to have more windows at the same time.

>One way to handle this is to use the XF86Config option of a virtual
>desktop (not the pager virtual desktops).  This will give you a
>desktop size of, say 1024x768, while your resolution is sill set to
>less than that.  Moving the mouse to the edge of the screen will
>automatically pan the desktop.

IIRC you need to have enough video RAM to do that.

>Hey, it's better than nothing.

Yeah, and for some people it is a pain in the eyes. Some people become sick
after using it. All people I know in real life do not use it.

GSR