Re: Problem with session management, doubling processes

* Glenn Valenta (glenn@coloradostudios.com) wrote:
> I'm having the same problem with multiple epplets launching at startup. I think
> my problems started when I used a "shutdown -r now" in a root window instead of
> using the gnome shutdown.  I was able to get a few of the epplets to go away by
> closing them and logging out and back in. However there are 4 mixer epplets and
> 3 E-CPUs that I can't get to go away at bootup.  Since I seldom reboot the
> computer, it is only a minor inconvenience for me.
>
> I'm using the "October" release.

By "Epplets" I presume you mean enlightenment epplets. These are a
special case as they use Enlightenments session functions to respawn
themselves. This does not always gel well with gnome-session, which
also restarts them for you, and can lead to duplication.

This is a differnt problem to those reported by the others in this
thread, unless they are also using both gnome and enlightenment
session management simultaneously. (Not recommended).

I added a configure options to the cvs epplets module (enlightement
cvs) last week. The option is --disable-auto-respawn and is designed
to be gnome-session friendly.

If you use enlightenment in combination with gnome-session, I highly
recommend you update and use:

$ ./autogen.sh --disable-auto-respawn --your_normal_options
$ make
$ su -c "make install"

A new tarball will be released in due course if you are happy to wait.
I expect package maintainers will also create epplets_gnome_friendly
type packages in due course.

In the meantime, you need to remove the extra epplet entries from your
enlightenment session file. This will prevent the 4 mixer problem etc.

To do this, you need to exit enlightenment and use the console (e
rewrites the session file on exit so you can't edit it from e).

[ If you use gdm/xdm, log out of gnome and at the gmd/xdm screen use
CTRL+ALT+1 to get to a virtual terminal. CTRL+ALT+7 to get back. ]

In the console, just edit ~/.enlightenment/...e_session-XXXXXX.snapshots.0

Find the line:
NEW: E-Mixer.Epplet
and delete all the way down to the next NEW: line.

Repeat as necessary. Restart e. The problem should go away.

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |