Gnome installation on Caldera OL

Howdy all,

I am a relatively new Linux user. I recently installed Caldera OpenLinux
2.3. This distribution uses KDE. I wanted to use Gnome, however, so I
downloaded all the Gnome RPMs for Caldera from here, and installed them with
the needed library.

How can i start gnome sessions? I tried adding exec gnome-session to my
xinitrc, but it didn't achieve the intended effect. My X configs seem to be
intertwined with kde in some way. I can launch a very bare X using the
startx command, and the command kde will load X with KDE. This is different
than redhat, where startx launched X with whatever you were using.

SO, does anyone know how can i launch gnome from a command line, or somehow
choose between Gnome and KDE? I would like to be able to use both of them,
but mainly I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for how to
configure Gnome to launch now.

Juln

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
Sign up at http://www.mail.com?sr=mc.mk.mcm.tag001