Re: Thoughts on Nautilus

Andrew Post wrote:

> Matthias Warkus wrote:
> > 1. Don't make this a clone of Windows 98's IE-"enhanced" Explorer. It
> >    looks like it's going that way.
> >
> > 2. Don't make it a clone of Konqueror, either. 8)
>
> I completely agree. I was disturbed to see a screenshot that looked
> identical to the IE-"enhanced" Windows Explorer. I have yet to meet
> anyone who truly thought that this feature increased their productivity.
> Rather, it slows Windows down tremendously and is a colossal waste of
> screen real estate. I mean, why should a folder with 5 files in it take
> up a quarter of my screen at 1024x768 resolution?
>
> Why are the UI people settling only for being as good as Windows? No one
> would deny that the Windows GUI leaves a lot of room for improvement. If
> any GUI is worth cloning, Windows certainly isn't it. If you're just
> going to clone someone else's work, why don't you look at OS/2's WPS?
>
> Finally, it is far more important to have an interface that's powerful
> and easy to use than it is to have an interface that's simply familiar.
> If the GUI is of high quality, it won't matter that it's unfamiliar,
> because people will be able to quickly figure it out.
>
> Andrew

<sarcasm>Well, the truth is I just really like Microsoft and can't come
up with anything better.</sarcasm>

The redesign said "Preliminary" on it several times, but people
instantly assume that what's there will be implemented as-is. Relax, and
please realize that there are people behind the demagoguery (as opposed
to just villians and heros). The redesign will be changed to incorporate
views similar to Mac and NeXT's defaults, and we aren't settling for
being as
good as Windows, since we aren't done yet.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill