Re: Thoughts on Nautilus

bob@cs.csoft.net wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Matthias Warkus wrote:
>
> > First of all, thanks to the crew for making such great progress on
> > Nautilus. There are a couple of thoughts by me on this neat
> > application.
> >
> > 1. Don't make this a clone of Windows 98's IE-"enhanced" Explorer. It
> >    looks like it's going that way.
> >
> > 2. Don't make it a clone of Konqueror, either. 8)
> >
> > 3. Does "hyperbola" really display a hyperbolic treeview or is it just
> >    a fancy name for a component? If the second is the case, I think
> >    there should be a hyperbolic treeview. That would be a very nice
> >    feature and so far I know of no file manager that features one.
> >
> > 4. Maybe Nautilus should be able to use any kind of Bonobo component
> >    as a "view". You could edit Gnumeric spreadsheets or other documents
> >    inline, inside the Nautilus view pane. For someone who wants to add
> >    finishing touches to twenty files without popping windows up all
> >    the time, this could be a killer feature.
> >

> Been thinking about this. With bonobo, is there even any reason anymore to
> have a base app and then embed stuff into it? aka, have gnumeric as a
> stand alone app that can embed other bonobo objects into itself?
> Why not create a standard bonobo file format, and use the file manager as
> the base. then, you just gota double click a bonobo file in the file
> manager and it comes up inside with all the embedables in place. (just an
> idea)

Well, the UI is different for each app. Gnumeric has it's own set of
spreadsheet tools (and the UIs that go with them) which can be used to
edit the spreadsheet, and they would need to be added to the FM UI when
you "View" the file, which was something I never liked about the
Microsoft ActiveX stuff (the UI completely changing when you clicked on
something). Simple editing, etc. can be done from inside the FM, but
real editing needs a dedicated UI.

Jack Of All Trades, Master of None, etc., etc. :-)

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill