Re: Sort-of Announce: Gnet, a network library

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, David Helder wrote:

> I'm sort-of releasing my network library Gnet (README included below).  I
> thought that before I release it officially I should ask the GTK and Gnome
> folks whether I should:
[snip]

Some time ago I tried to write a library like this myself: you can find it
at http://www.cli.di.unipi.it/~zunino
(It's called gnome-socket and it's very small.)

I haven't looked enough to Gnet, but it seems well designed and
functional. Well documented, too. (Mine lack docs for now).

If you want you could look at the features of my gnome-socket that are
missing in Gnet and (possibly) incorporate them in it if it's worth the
work.
Basically, it's asynchronous dns lookup (via the adns library) and a
slightly higher level async network IO (i.e. the library calls
g_io_add_watch for you when it's necessary).

Beware that adns is GPL (not LGPL): my lib instead is wholly LGPL. If you
put adns stuff into gnet please use something like
./configure --with-adns or similar.

Happy hacking,
Zun.