Help please - ppp - I know this is not the right list

Hi
I have a major major problem

I have set up scripts to dial in to my isp.

They work as long as I am logged in as root, but if I log in as a normal
use (myself - no network just stand alone box) they don't

What is worse is is that I get no error messages ( with debug turned on)
but when  try to do anything "host not found"
ifconfig and route -n give identical output whether root or user
I even tried resetting my default route but I ot the following output
[root@redtux /root]# route add default ppp
SIOCADDRT: No such device
[root@redtux /root]#

If anyone can help or can tell me where else I could try I would be vey
very grateful

BTW I do use gnome honest (since July 1999 currently using 1.1.2
core/applets 1.0.55 libs)

I just need some help or somewhere to look

apologies