Re: glade2perl: Does it work? (And some more on glade in general)

Toralf Lund wrote:

> Yet another question related to glade:
>
> Is there anybody out there who has anyone successfully built perl code
> using glade? I have experimented a bit with this now, and while the code
> generated looks very promising, I can't actually get my application up
> and running. The first problem I got was that gnome.pm couldn't be
> found. This problem was quite easily solved, I simply created a symbolic
> link from gnome.pm to Gnome.pm in the appropriate perllib directory (I
The correct module is Gnome.pm (capital G) and that is what my module
expects to find and what it generates in the modules. If Glade-Perl is
looking for gnome.pm then it is badly wrong, please email me directly.

If you have gnome.pm on your system (lcase g) you have a problem.
AFAIK Gtk-Perl has always generated Gnome.pm but the latest version
(0.7002) definitely does. If this is the case, did you ever move it by
hand rather than make install?

> hate having to do hacks like this, though), but I am still unable to
> figure out how to access the perl modules generated. In particular, the
> directives indicated in the "POD" documentation do not work.
This is my fault, I'm sorry that this has not kept pace with the module.
If you look at the run diagnostics you will see correct messages but...

One way to run an app generated by Glade-Perl-0.48 is something like:
  Change directory to the Glade project directory and then
  perl -e 'use src::Project; window->run'; # (change to your names)

> I am using perl-Glade-Perl-0.48-6 and Gtk-Perl-0.6123-1.
Gtk-Perl is now at version 0.7002 and I would recommend that you upgrade
to this. You will need to read the docs to find out how to install it as
Gtk-Perl does not now make all the submodules from the toplevel make.
You can find it at ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/lupus/

I will be releasing version Glade-Perl-0.49 in the a few days.
Among other things, this deals with 'funny' Glade project names better
(it removes spaces, minuses and dots from the project name).

Make sure that you don't have any of these (' ', '-' or '.') in your Glade
project name.

Do you have a (small) project that fails to run? If you do, please can you
send me (privately) the Project.glade file and two of the four generated
files from your source_directory (Project.pm ProjectUI.pm) and I will see
that they are generated correctly.

Regards, Dermot