RE: Red Hat and updated RPMs (was: Wow)

> 	Not to step on anybody's toes here, but Red Hat has historically
> been very, very bad about releasing updated packages to make
> life easier
> on their customers.

Not to defend RH, but the important stuff (security patches), were very
timely in my perception.

> 	When Red Hat 5.2 came out (with a Perl version that broke
> Majordomo) it took them several months before they released an updated
> Perl.  The maintainers of Majordomo had even informed Red Hat of the
> problem.  (The solution was to _downgrade_ to the Perl that
> came with 5.1)

Why didn't the Majordomo people updated the program? Anyway, as you
said/did, it was a matter of removing one RPM and adding the other.

> 	The new XFree86 has been out for over a month, and they *still*
> have not released updated RPMs.  It's annoying because I need
> that update
> to play Quake 3 on my Banshee card, but I don't want to contaminate my
> system with the XFree .tar.gz's.  What good is a package
> management system
> if you can't get updated packages?

Got to rpmfind.net and grab them. AFAIK the official RH XFree 3.3.6 is
available in the development site (rawhide) for quite a while, but I might
be wrong. Got mine from rpmfind a long while ago...

> 	ANY-how, I sincerely hope the Gnome maintainers will take charge
> of the RPMs.

RHlabs is part of RH...

> --Derek
> P.S.> Sorry about the offtopic.  I had to blow some steam...

Quite unfairly IMHO.