Red Hat and updated RPMs (was: Wow)

> 1.2, but perhaps with 2.0.  Hopefully once RH6.2 is out, RH will let a
> couple of people screw with RPM and spec files for a while so that they get
> gnumeric as an "official" update to the latest version, just to make life
> easier (is anybody listening?), unless they've already done that for 6.2.

	Not to step on anybody's toes here, but Red Hat has historically
been very, very bad about releasing updated packages to make life easier
on their customers.

	When Red Hat 5.2 came out (with a Perl version that broke
Majordomo) it took them several months before they released an updated
Perl.  The maintainers of Majordomo had even informed Red Hat of the
problem.  (The solution was to _downgrade_ to the Perl that came with 5.1)

	The new XFree86 has been out for over a month, and they *still*
have not released updated RPMs.  It's annoying because I need that update
to play Quake 3 on my Banshee card, but I don't want to contaminate my
system with the XFree .tar.gz's.  What good is a package management system
if you can't get updated packages?

	ANY-how, I sincerely hope the Gnome maintainers will take charge
of the RPMs.

--Derek
P.S.> Sorry about the offtopic.  I had to blow some steam...