Re: How do I stop Gnome looking for IP address on boot-up?

Eduardo Silva <jobezone@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was having the same problem, and after doing what
> was said here, it kind of worked.
> GNOME doesn't bug me anymore at startup, but now it's
> very slow. The following message keeps coming from the
> kernel:
> neighbour table overflow
> This is what is making Gnome slow(i.e, I click some
> program, and it takes time to launch, even the most
> small ones), does anybody know why?
>
> I'm using Debian potato, Linux 2.2.14 .

I was the one who raised the original question. I too have seen the
occasional *very* slow response with Gnome. A reboot and it is fine
again. I have had this whatever I have in /etc/hosts, so I don't think
it is connected.

Regarding the hostname dns lookup, I decided to do a fresh Debian
install on a spare partition, since it has been a long time since I did
that - I have been upgrading the same system over time. I looked in
/etc/hosts when it had done and I saw:

127.0.0.1	scgf	localhost

scgf is, of course, my hostname.

I copied the same arrangement to my working Debian partition and, so
far, all seems well.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Debian Linux