Re: How do I stop Gnome looking for IP address on boot-up?

[...]
>The ISP-Hookup howto contains the following:
>"A certain minimum of configuration will also be required in
>   /etc/hosts. Most users will be able to manage with:
>127.0.0.1       localhost
>0.0.0.0         roderick
>   Those with a fixed IP-address will obviously replace 0.0.0.0 with
>   that."
>I used that configuration for about a year without any problems
>until I installed gnome. After changing the 0.0.0.0 for 127.0.0.1
>I have had no problems with gnome or anything else.

/etc/hosts could be like this (each line "one-IP some-names"):

127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain mymachine
10.0.0.1    mymachine.myimaginarydomain-usingethernetdevice

When I connect via modem (PPP) I get another IP, asigned by ISP, som my
machine has three IPs (two in the file), all valid, never 0.0.0.0.

In other words, multiple names for a IP number, machine can have multiple
IPs (I use short name for local and long for ethernet, usefull when testing
things).

It is the first time I see 0.0.0.0 used as a dir, and I have used modems and
LAN configs. All 0 sounds like broadcast or mask, maybe useful in other
places but not in regular /etc/hosts, IMO.

GSR