Re: Request: Test suite for EFS.

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 01:11:16AM +0000, Tom Gilbert wrote:
> * Norman Stevens (norman@arcady.u-net.com) wrote:

> > > This is what efs does, execpt it's only one file.
> > >
> > Why _must_ it be one file?
>
> Because IMO users do not want their work stored as directories. In a
> corporate environment where documents are exchanged, commonly by
> internal email, people want to send files around,

  Everybody uses Mime-Multipart, as far as I know it *is* multipart.
BTW everybody seems to consider OK to base64 stuff when sending
an e-mail ...
  Especially in that case, send a mail with a base64 encoded attachement
containing an EFS file and check who can grasp it ... Nobody right now.
at least if you split things you *do* get the mime type of the various
omponents. allowing your mail agent to handle those in an intelligent
fashion.
  The packaging problem has been a loooonnng debate in other circles
like ISO/IETF, even W3C. Make the content of your package easilly readable
or your packaging format will die faster than you design it.

> copy them and share
> them in the manner they are accustomed.

  I.e. sharing network directories where compounts are not a problem
or web where it is not a problem either or floppies where directories
can be an acceptable solution.

> To a user, this internal stuff should be transparent. If he doesn't

  yes.

> need the ability to poke around in there, why force him to cope with
> the consequences?

  Because even more importantly, programs need to poke around too.i
An a big blurb of binary encoding will make sense to very few of those.

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW