Re: Request: Test suite for EFS.

* Norman Stevens (norman@arcady.u-net.com) wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 u07ih@abdn.ac.uk wrote:
>
> > > Why don't we just store compound documents as directories? The files
> > > in this directory would be the individual components of this document.
> > > If they themselves were compound documents they would, of course, be
> > > subdirectories rather than files.
> >
> > This is what efs does, execpt it's only one file.
> >
> Why _must_ it be one file?

Because IMO users do not want their work stored as directories. In a
corporate environment where documents are exchanged, commonly by
internal email, people want to send files around, copy them and share
them in the manner they are accustomed.

To a user, this internal stuff should be transparent. If he doesn't
need the ability to poke around in there, why force him to cope with
the consequences?

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |