Re: Modest idea

At 11:24 14/02/00 -0600, Kent Schumacher wrote:
>My 8 year old son used to play educational games at school and a lot of
them seemed
>to share the same interface.
>
>I would call them interactive stories.  Essentially the interface is a screen
>that is split vertically.  The top 60% is a lightly animated page, and the
bottom
>40% is text.  By lightly animated I mean clocks on the wall may have a
swinging
>pendulum, branches may wave in the wind, etc...

  ..... <big snip> .....

Click .. Whirr ...  Buzz ... (searches through databank)
Reminds me of W95-Plus! themes and the Compaq interactive interface which
never quite caught on.  That had an entrance hall with various 'rooms'
accessed by the users (eg 'Melanies Room', 'Daddy's Room') within which was
a second tier of interactive pictures leading to activities of interest to
the particular user.

The other thing that comes to mind is "3D Movie Maker" wher bits and pieces
could be put together to make a moving story.

Programs like these could provide an excellent basis for interactive
learning. How far up the 'K' learning scale this concept could be taken is
open to debate.

Brian

Brian Astill,  Visiting Research Fellow
Flinders University Institute of International Education