Gnome session error

I am running redhat 6.1 with kernel 2.2.14smp, and Gnome 1.0.5x (depending
on the package).  Regardless, I've tried to update to the latest stable
packages.  Gnome works fine, and I have Enlightenment load on top of it.
I boot into X11 using prefdm which finds Gnome and boots the login screen.
I can login without any problems, but when I use the control center, I
cannot choose any startup programs.  In verbose mode, gnomecc says it
cannot connect to gnome-session and:
file gsm-protocal.c: line 599 (gsm_protocal_new): assertion
'GNOME_CLIENT_CONNECTED (gnome_client)' failed.
I doubt this is a permissions error or something like that because the
same thing happens if I login as root.  Also, no better luck if I login at
the command prompt and run startx.  Anyone know how I can fix this?
Thanks,
-Matt