making a dialog box application modal

Hi,

I'm having trouble making an application dialog modal.  I would like
to have it so that the dialog not only receives all input to the
application, but also remains in front of all application windows.
This last part is the one I'm having trouble with.  For example,
creating a GnomeDialog and running it with gnome_dialog_run(),
does not ensure that the dialog stays in front of the application
window.

There seems to be a Motif WM hint to make a window application
modal, but I can't find any way of applying it via GTK/GDK.

Does anyone know away to get this to work?

Thanks,
Darin

ps. i dont want to depend on GNOME window manager hints to achieve
    this.